Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting Services (ARFFS) core function is to respond to aircraft emergencies to save lives & properties & to ensure business continuity in our airports.
ICAO ARFFS Requirement
An applicant for the grant of an Aerodrome operating certificate must, for any International Aerodrome & any other aerodrome when so required by the Director in the interest of safety provide Rescue & Firefighting capability at that Aerodrome.
The Four (4) main core functions & aim of ARFF operations at the Aerodrome is;
- TO PROVIDE RESCUE & FIREFIGHTING SERVICES TO PASSENGERS INVOLVED IN AIRCRAFT INCIDENTS & ACCIDENTS;
- Responding to aircrafts emergency call outs from Tower.
- Take lead in the full-scale Airport Emergency Procedure exercises with other stakeholders & airport community.
- On standby before first aircraft movement & cease duty after last aircraft movement.
- TO PROVIDE FIREFIGHTING SERVICE TO FIGHT FIRES IN AIRCRAFTS & BUILDINGS ON ANY PART OF AN AERODROME;
- Responding to building fire emergencies at the aerodrome only, but also assist Civil Fire outside of the airport if situation is critical with approval from PMIA.
- Responding to fire alarms at the Terminals.
- Approved response distance outside of airport vicinity is 5-mile Radius.
- TO PROVIDE A FIRE PROTECTION SERVICE AT AERODROMES AT WHICH A FIRE SERVICE UNIT IS LOCATED & TO GIVE TECHNICAL ADVICE ON FIRE PRECAUTIONS & FIREFIGHTING;
- Fire Warden training awareness.
- Basic Fire Safety training awareness on how to use portable fire extinguishers.
- Fire Extinguisher installations on all aerodrome buildings.
- Monthly & weekly fire installations inspections.
- Responding to fire alarm call-outs at ITB & DTB.
- TO PROVIDE FIRST AID SERVICES TO STAFF & USERS OF THE AIRPORT;
- Mandatory first aid training for all ARFF staff.
- Attend to casualties at accident site when responding to aircraft accident or building fire emergency.
- Recurrence first aid training after every 3 years depending on the expiry date of the Certificate.
- Aircraft wash-down or water salute.
- Terminal wash-down, cleaning.
- Runway wash-down for Foreign Object Debris removal
- Runway inspection
Awareness Information (Port Moresby International Airport)
- Emergency call line: +675 3244 694
- Duty Fire Officer: +675 3244 693
- Airport Fire Chief : +675 3244 683